2009年11月12日 星期四

Why write about art?

Arthur C. Danto said in "Embodied Meanings" (1994)

"Until one tries to write about it, the work of art remains a soft of aesthetic blur... After seeing the work, write about it. You cannot be satisfied for very long in simply putting down what you felt. You have to go further" (p.14)


The Function of Critical Writing:

"1. Introduce me to authors or works of which I was hitherto unaware.
2. Convince me that I have undervalued an author or a work because I had not read them carefully enough
3. Show me relations between works of different ages and cultures which I could never have seen for myself because I do not know enough and never shall.
4. Give a "reading " of a work which increases my understanding of it.
5. Throw light upon the process of artistic "Making"
6. Throw light upon the relation of art to life, to science, economics, ethics, religion etc."

by W.H. Auden, from "The Dyer's Hand" (1963) pp. 8-9

沒有留言:

張貼留言